The Good People at Ministry of Domestic Trade and Cost of Living







AMIDST all the complaints about the cost of living, this is an interesting story of how the current Deputy Minister of Domestic Trade and Cost of Living, Fuziah Salleh, helped solve a problem despite her busy schedule.

        I have known both Fuziah and the late Salahuddin Ayub (former Minister of Domestic Trade & Industry) for a number of years now. When both were appointed to Anwar's cabinet as Minister and Deputy Minister, I knew things would improve. Allow me to share my latest engagement with Fuziah before discussing Salahuddin's contributions to society.
Mind you, Fuziah and I have never even met although 
we have known each other for over 10 years now

The Angel Responded

        It was around 9 pm on July 4 when I sent a short message to Fuziah about the complaints I received from a fruit trader who owns two trucks with his brother. He mentioned that the price of diesel had gone up.

        "By right, your trucks can qualify for fleet cards. Why do you say diesel price has gone up for you?" I asked. As usual, I had stopped my car by the road to buy oranges and watermelons. This was the second time that I met him after being satisfied with the Mangga Susu that I bought a week earlier.

        Later that evening, I decided to share the feedback with Fuziah. If she responded, great. If not, I understood that it might be beyond her duty.

        To my surprise, Fuziah responded, asking for the title ownership documents for both trucks. At the same time, she sent me official information on "MySubsidiDIESEL," which I forwarded to the trader.


        
A conversation between Fuziah and the trader took place for about 10-15 minutes, with me acting as the intermediary.

        The trader told me he would ask for the title from his brother to check. A day later, he informed me that his brother had already applied for Fleetcards but had not informed him earlier. Problem solved.

        Despite her busy schedule, Fuziah took the time to respond. What does this show? It shows she has a soft spot for consumers and traders struggling with rising costs. It shows that she is a problem solver. After all, ministers' job are to solve the problems faced by the people.

        If there are no issues, people would not take time from their busy hours to highlight their problems. 

        My explanation to the trader about Targeted Subsidies was backed up by none other than a caring Deputy Minister herself.

        If you visit TikTok and search for Fuziah Salleh, you'll see she is on the ground most of the time. I've never seen such active enforcement by ministry officers in the past.

        It's no wonder there have been more reports of successful raids on diesel smuggling and hoarding of cooking oil and other controlled items during the Madani government era than ever before. The public can continue to complain to the ministry if they find that the traders claim there is no cooking oil or other controlled items. 

        Click on this to watch the videos yourself, taken each time she goes down to the ground. 
      

Salehuddin's Legacy

        Salehuddin's legacy will always be remembered by me.

        I first brought up TouchNGo's (TNG) attitude towards complaints. Operating as a monopoly, they often ignore customer grievances. My specific issue was a double billing of RM2.10 at the Bukit Lanjan toll plaza. While the amount was small, I kept the minister informed because TNG's unwillingness to resolve problems is a larger issue.

        Although the amount was minor, I saw the problem as significant and pursued it to ensure it wouldn't happen to other consumers. For example, my persistence stopped Celcom and other telcos from charging subscribers 20 sen for every dropped call. After noticing 39 dropped calls on my bill, each charged 20 sen, I pursued the matter for nearly two years until it was resolved. Since then, telcos have been prohibited from charging for dropped calls.

        This persistence is why I brought the TNG matter to Salehuddin although the amount was only RM2.10. A week after informing him, TNG responded politely for the first time and refunded the amount. I hope we can break the monopoly of TNG.

        Salehuddin also ensured that money in the e-Wallet could be transferred to a bank account. Thank you, Datuk Seri Salehuddin!

Some Unresolved Issues

        

        Unfortunately, the minister passed away before addressing the issue of RFID lanes at toll plazas. It's counterproductive when TNG introduces RFID, yet toll plazas still provide more lanes for the traditional 'touch-and-go' approach. Drivers have to wind down their windows and manually use the TNG card, while those with RFID often face difficulties due to limited lanes.

        TNG and toll plazas should migrate to higher-end technology, similar to Singapore, allowing motorists to drive through seamlessly. Using TNG cards is a step backward if RFID is the future.

        Additionally, TNG cards have expiry dates and are pricey. They frequently update their chips, requiring old cards to be discarded and replaced. According to a late developer of a shopping mall, "Preferred Parking" cards were implemented to provide the management with advance payments that could be used for business operations.

        TNG profits significantly from selling cards, often leaving unclaimed balances when users don't utilize their remaining funds or seek refunds due to the time and effort involved. I wonder who keeps the unclaimed money? Does TNG pass it to Bank Negara, or does it go into their coffers?

        For these unresolved issues, I hope Fuziah can help find solutions for the benefit of many users.


If you are interested to buy fruits, check this out: https://shaunyummyfood.blogspot.com/2024/07/irrestible-fruits-from-zuls-lorry.html  His prices are very reasonable.

You can get your fruits from Zul at very affordable prices 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Jalan Palestin....

Singaporean commentator: "Anwar is making all the right decisions"

Exercise some critical thinking before accusing Hannah Yeoh or the Selangor State Government of nepotism