
Simba has to seize his father’s throne from Scar
In the kingdom ruled by Scar and his hyenas, the animals found themselves increasingly cornered, burdened by fear, uncertainty, and a sense of helplessness.
Thank God it took three state elections to deliver a powerful wake-up call to Pakatan Harapan, perhaps just in time. With only about a year remaining before the next general election cycle comes into sharper focus, Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim (PMX) and His Majesty Sultan Ibrahim must hold the fort firmly and prevent the Madani Government from being overwhelmed by the avalanche of political pressures and orchestrated attacks.
It must have taken millions of ringgit spent on cybertroopers and propaganda campaigns that nearly succeeded in bringing down Pakatan Harapan, a coalition once regarded by many Malaysians as a beacon of hope and reform. Every conceivable angle was exploited to attack PMX, and as we witnessed during the recent state elections, even some within the Unity Government appeared willing to undermine their own coalition partners.
Yes, I have also been critical of the PH Government. However, I see myself more as Rafiki from The Lion King, carrying the Bakora staff. Its purpose is not merely to strike at the hyenas and Little Napoleons who stand in the way of progress, but also, when necessary, to knock some sense into PH Members of Parliament and State Assemblymen. Therefore, no one can accuse me of being paid by PMX to maintain this blog.
If you read my forthcoming book, Write to Right, Right to Write, you will better understand that writing is not merely a profession to me. It is a calling, and perhaps even a destiny. God does not bestow talent without purpose. Throughout my life, I have used my writing to advocate for improvements in public systems.
For example, I played a role in highlighting the need to streamline Malaysia's emergency response system, resulting in the wider adoption of 999 as the unified emergency number while 112 was phased out. I also wrote extensively on healthcare issues, including the inequity surrounding radiotherapy treatment, which was once excluded from many insurance policies simply because it was administered on an outpatient basis. Today, coverage has improved significantly.
The Bakora staff can be an effective instrument in helping leaders regain perspective. While it may seem audacious for an ordinary citizen like me to criticise elected representatives, I am encouraged when I see evidence of genuine change. My greatest fear has always been that if our leaders failed to wake up in time, the country might once again fall into the wrong hands.
I do not need to spend pages praising economic indicators, declining debt ratios, or improved governance. Instead, let me tell you a story about a senior politician whose indifference to problems faced by constituents deeply disappointed me.
Assisted by two appointees who appeared disconnected from the ideals upon which the party was originally founded, this politician allowed a situation to develop where those entrusted to solve problems became problems themselves. Despite repeated complaints, my concerns fell on deaf ears.
That indifference was something I encountered in more than a few PH politicians, and at times it made my blood boil. This was when the Bakora staff had to be used, though as gently as possible. All I ever wanted was to see a shift in their attitude towards public service and a greater sensitivity to the people they represent.
Today, however, I am happy.
Over the past week, following the publication of my blog, two individuals reached out to me. Initially, I was sceptical of their intentions and therefore shared my views cautiously. One of them appeared so busy that I suspected the matter would be forgotten. I was wrong.
He and his team subsequently followed up with the family of Mr Tan.
It also emerged that several documents submitted on Mr Tan's behalf were missing from the official file. This omission may have contributed significantly to the rejection of his citizenship application. In fact, when I first read the rejection letter and saw that the decision was clearly attributed to the minister himself, I felt that something was not right.
After all, how does someone who has spent seventy years of his life in Malaysia, apart from his first three years in Singapore, fail to qualify for naturalisation?
Ironically, one of the reasons cited was his inability to write a three-page essay in Bahasa Malaysia and his failure to answer a question regarding the full name of the Yang di-Pertuan Agong. To be fair, many Malaysians may struggle with the latter. Even an elected Member of Parliament once publicly apologised in Parliament after addressing His Majesty by the wrong name.
A second case involved a female stall operator at Medan Selera PJ Kita. She suffered a fall, fractured several bones, and spent a week in hospital. As a result, she was unable to operate her stall for two weeks and lost her only source of income.
Government premises are not rented out merely to generate revenue. Their purpose is to provide ordinary Malaysians with opportunities to earn a living. Under such circumstances, supported by medical reports and hospital records, I felt that the Madani Government should demonstrate compassion and provide assistance.
Only then can people truly experience the Madani values that the Government frequently speaks about.
I raised the matter with the same senior politician.
Tonight, I received a message from the stall operator herself. She told me she was surprised, even anxious, when she received a call from the MP's office. The MP's special officer is scheduled to meet her tomorrow morning at her stall.
That is encouraging news.
I sincerely hope help is on the way at the moment she needs it most.
For the past three years, many Malaysians have felt cornered by mounting pressures, from rising living costs to bureaucratic arrogance and intimidation by petty power brokers. People feel trapped by systems and cultures that often appear indifferent to their struggles.
How did the situation become so polarised, with so many forces seemingly united against a single government?
Part of the answer lies in the increasingly aggressive anti-corruption drive. As investigations expand, properties are seized, networks disrupted, and long-established patronage systems threatened. Those who once benefited from the old ways are finding their avenues closing. Some remain defiant, while many others fear accountability.
I believe enormous sums have been spent in efforts to shape public opinion and build relentless pressure against the Government, pressure that contributed significantly to PH's defeats in several state elections.
Like many others, I have felt that pressure too. Not from cybertroopers, but from having to confront the hyenas at every level.
It is time for us to reclaim the ground that was once ceded to our opponents. It is time for the embattled leaders of Pakatan Harapan to rise above the noise, reconnect with the people, and regain these territories through conviction, service, and leadership.
May we strive towards a Malaysia where justice, compassion, and peace are restored. If it is God's will to use Anwar Ibrahim as an instrument in building a better Malaysia for all, then I welcome it wholeheartedly. If not, so be it. Ultimately, no individual is bigger than the nation or its destiny.
What matters most is that many of us share the same aspiration: to leave behind a stronger, fairer, and more united Malaysia for future generations. That hope is larger than any political party, any government, or any single leader. It is a dream that belongs to all Malaysians.
Comments
Post a Comment